As REALTIME’s Head of VFX Systems Technology, you will be responsible for collaborating with senior roles to develop and implement long term strategies that support REALTIME’s business objectives, and leading a team of System Engineers, ensuring tasks are completed on time to a high standard.
REALTIME are at the forefront of VFX technology and we want your help in adding the latest innovations and infrastructure to our growing pipeline!
· Collaborate with the Senior Management Team and senior creatives to develop long term strategies for REALTIME’s IT and VFX Systems needs that allow the company to effectively deliver Client projects and continue to be innovative with tools and workflows.
· Work with the Senior Management Team including the Head of Pipeline Technologies, and the senior creatives (Games Directors, VFX Supervisors and Auto Lead Designers) to implement the enterprise architecture for current and future business requirements, identifying the need for and managing the implementation of infrastructure and software upgrades, configurations, or new systems.
· Plan and budget for new infrastructure and VFX systems requirements, providing key proposals and business cases to improve and expand on our systems capabilities. Work with Finance on the approvals of expenditure, and strive to identify efficient and cost-effective hardware and services.
· Report to Senior Management Team on IT metrics and escalate any unresolved incidents to the Studio Production Director, and engage with the necessary suppliers and vendors to resolve issues.
· Establish and monitor IT policies and practices to support the implementation of strategies set by SMT.
· Review, maintain and improve IT security in accordance with strict industry standards to ensure a robust security rating, act as the studio contact for security audits and security-related communications with Clients, and manage our BCP and DR.
· Act as the main point of contact for building management for scheduled semi-annual and emergency building shutdowns and other maintenance.
· Act as an escalation point for all teams to resolve systems, infrastructure, and IT workflow issues, and be the overarching manager of the ticket system to ensure proper delegation and timely resolution of issues for desktops, servers, hardware, network issues and end user equipment.
· Manage, create, and edit scripts as appropriate to facilitate the automation of systems activities.
· Coordinate with Production to schedule appropriate systems support after hours and on weekends when required.
· Take ownership of faults and manage them in a logical and methodical manner, follow-up the status of problems, and communicate progress efficiently. Provide support and solutions for complex issues surrounding high performance server and networking architecture.
· Manage a team of Systems Engineers, working with the Talent Team to support with hiring, supporting with career development, appraisals and feedback, and succession planning; provide support where required and promote a positive work environment.
· Strong knowledge of Houdini, Maya, Unreal, Arnold/Renderman, Katana
· Proficiency in Python and C++
· System administration experience in Linux, Microsoft, or other network related fields
Must have skills & qualities
· Bachelors or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent industry experience
· 5+ years of experience in the Visual Effects or Animation industry, with experience managing and leading technology teams within a CG environment
· Strong experience developing and leading the VFX rendering and pipeline process
· Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols
· Experience with scripting and automation tools
· Proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans
· Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing helpdesk and IT operations best practices, including expert knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols
· Strong communication and organizational skills, and issue management.
· Knowledge of 3D render farms and infrastructures.
· Knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policies.
· Knowledge of Windows 7, 10 & Server 2012R2
· Knowledge of Microsoft WDS, imaging process, client/server patching with WSUS.
· Knowledge of LAN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, SSL VPN.
· Working knowledge of virtualization, VMWare, or equivalent.
· Knowledge of NAS technology and software.
· Experience with JIRA, Shotgrid or similar production management tool
· Experience with Tractor, Solaris, Karma
· Experience with 3ds MAX, Adobe, Nuke
· Experience with PowerShell scripting
· Microsoft certified e.g. MCSA, MCSE, Microsoft Azure
Package/What We Offer
- Fantastic, vibrant and creative work atmosphere with highly experienced production team.
- Excellent development studios both in Manchester city centre and Lancashire countryside.
- State of the art equipment, facilities and software
- Collaborative and inclusive culture – real opportunity to work across multiple areas and grow
- Competitive salary for the Northwest UK.
- Company pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Bike to work scheme