At REALTIME, we are launching our Level Up Programme (LUP), which is our initiative to create a new natural entry point into the industry. This programme is targeted at talented final years, graduates, and artists with less than 2 years experience in the industry with a generalist skillset to allow them to support the wider team across multiple projects. An ideal candidate will have something they are particularly strong at (e.g. lighting, or FX etc), but also have the skills and knowledge of the wider pipeline that enable them to support and develop in other areas.
The role is a full-time paid position, and you will be working on live projects, but with dedicated time each week allocated for training and support with either our Head of Skills and Development or key artists from specific departments around the studio.
The programme will run for a period of 6 months, though, unlike an internship, Level Up is an offer of permanent full-time employment with the opportunity for continued development and training, if required, post-programme.
The LUP will run on a hybrid-remote model with at least 1 day a week in our Manchester studio (the training and support day(s)).
As previously mentioned, members of the programme are permanent, full-time paid members of staff with a starting salary of £23,000.
As we are aware many that may be interested in the programme will currently be studying, we have decided to make the start date from the end of May 2024, to give everyone time to complete their studies and submit assignments (All applicants must be able to start from June 3rd, 2024).
Applications are open from January 31st, 2024 and close on March 26, 2024. We plan to run the programme annually, so if you aren't successful this time, please make sure you check back for future intakes of the LUP.
- Use a wide range of skills, primarily in Unreal Engine and other supporting packages, to create and support with CG assets, shots and content
- Work across multiple teams at the studio to provide support in varying areas of the pipeline where needed, such as Layout, Lighting, FX, optimisation, etc
- Work closely with our Head of Skills and Development to identify areas for development to allow you to better support the wider team
- Participate in training activities such as weekly sessions, one-off masterclasses, training videos and courses, and shadowing other artist
- Responsible for managing your own learning retention by taking notes and/or building a personal resource library to support your own learning
- Practice and apply training content to live and individual projects to ensure learning is retained
MUST HAVE SKILLS & QUALITIES:
- A good generalist skillset with an awareness of most areas of the VFX/Games pipeline (modelling, texturing, shader creation, lighting, rendering, etc)
- Good knowledge of Unreal Engine and the ability create, optimise, and work with both custom assets and pre-built assets (not just Megascans)
- Knowledge of a texturing package such as Mari or Substance Suite and comfort with material creation and instancing
- Able to use the Sequencer and Movie Render Queue
- A supporting knowledge of one of the following DCCs: Maya, 3D Max or Houdini
- A passion for VFX/Games and learning
- Keen problem solver
- Interpret and act on feedback from seniors, leads, and directors
- Excellent communication skills and a team player
- Good organisational skills and a keen eye for detail
- Willingness to adopt in-house tools and workflows
- Strong independent worker when working remotely
- Lighting - be able to create high-quality in-engine lighting setups for environments and characters/subjects
- FX - In-engine FX utilising Niagara and/or Houdini
Bonus/Willing to learn:
- Experience with Blueprints and/or Python or C++
- Good knowledge of Houdini, Maya or 3D Max
- Experience optimising elements and FX built in Houdini to for game engine usage
- Good knowledge of Nuke and is able to utilise it to compliment and save time on the 3D side of the pipeline
- Experience optimising scenes for realtime content (60fps+)
- Any professional experience in a CG environment – be it employment or an internship